Fingerprint sensor sometimes doesn’t work properly – what can I do?
Why doesn’t the fingerprint sensor work as expected? / The phone doesn’t recognize my fingerprint, what can I do? / The fingerprint sensor doesn't work properly, can it be fixed?
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
You may experience that the fingerprint sensor on your Xperia may not respond as often as expected. Try the following simple troubleshooting tips to solve the issue.
Re-register fingerprintPlease ensure that your device updates to software version 55.1.A.9.21 or later (Xperia 5) 55.0.A.6.16 or later (Xperia 1)
Tip: Please update the software in your Xperia and then re-register your fingerprint again.
To ensure that you register your fingerprint accurately, please keep the following in mind:
- Grip your device the way you usually hold it.
- Begin registering your fingerprint by touching the sensor with your finger.
- Avoid moving your finger too widely around the sensor regardless of the animation UI. This will ensure that the device registers the main part of your fingerprint that will be used most often when touching the sensor.
Note! Software updates are released at different times depending on the operator, market, region or country. Therefore, we cannot give you an exact date for when the next update will be available for your device.
To re-register your fingerprint
- Clean the fingerprint sensor gently with a clean and dry cloth.
- Tap Settings → Security → Fingerprint Manager
- Re-enter your PIN or password.
- Delete all registered fingerprints.
- Tap Add fingerprint and register your fingerprint.
Please try to add the same finger if it is not improved. You can register at most 5 fingerprints.
To add a fingerprint
- Tap Add Fingerprint, register the same finger to Finger 2, 3, 4 or 5.
- Please shift your finger slightly to the first registered position.
You can try this instead of step 2 or additionally
- Rotate your finger 90 degrees and register it.