IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
How to use Wi-Fi tethering in the 5 GHz band
- Find and tap Settings → Network and Internet → Hotspot and tethering → Portable hotspot.
- Tap AP band and select 5 GHz band preferred.
- Tap the slider on the top to turn it ON (the slider should turn blue).
- Immediately after starting Wi-Fi tethering, you can't connect from the client device for up to 3 minutes. That's because the presence of radar in the 5 GHz band is being checked in your area (e.g. proximity sensors/radar present in vehicles). Please wait until the "5 GHz portable hotspot is available" notification is displayed before you connect.
- If radar is detected in the 5 GHz band during Wi-Fi tethering, the communication between the client devices will be disconnected. However, the client devices will automatically reconnect after a while.
Why is Wi-Fi tethering automatically changing from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz?
"5 GHz band preferred" Wi-Fi tethering operates in the 5 GHz band if there is a frequency that can be used in the 5 GHz band. If the frequency in the 5 GHz band can't be used, Wi-Fi tethering operates in the 2.4 GHz band.