How do I use the Picture-in-Picture mode? (Android 8, Android 9 or Android 10)
How do I start Picture-in-Picture (PiP)? / How do I keep a video playing in a small window on my screen? / How can I activate Picture-in-Picture? / How does PiP work? / How do I use the Picture-in-Picture mode?
- Android 10
- Android 9 (Pie)
- Android 8.0, 8.1 (Oreo)
The Picture-in-Picture (PiP) mode allows videos to shrink down to a small resizable window. There are several different video streaming applications which support PiP, and the method to launch it depends on the application.
To launch the Picture-in-Picture mode
- Chrome: Start a video in full screen mode, then tap the Home button.
- YouTube: Subscribe to YouTube Premium, which is YouTube’s ad-free service based on a paid membership. Start a video, then tap the Home button. Note! YouTube Premium is not available in every country.
- Google Maps: Plan a route and start a navigation. Then tap the Home button.
- Google Play Movies & TV: Start a video, then tap the Home button.
- VLC Media Player: Start a video, then tap the menu (three horizontal dots) > Pop-Up player.
- Facebook: Tap the video you want to play so that it opens in the video player. Tap the PiP icon (a square within a square) in the top left corner.
Make sure that the app you want use has the latest update.
Note: The above listed apps are examples of apps which support PiP, but it's not a complete list. The number of apps that support PiP, as well as the exact PiP functionality, may change over time due to updates from app developers.
To use the Picture-in-Picture mode
- Tap the PiP window to display the control icons e.g. Pause/Play, Fast Forward, Rewind, and a Centre button that maximizes the app. To hide the control icons, tap the window. Which icons that are available differ depending on the app.
- The PiP window is moveable. Touch, hold and then drag the window to any part of your phone's screen. Lift your finger to release it. If you let go somewhere in the middle, the window snaps to the closest valid location.
- To close the PiP window: touch, hold and then drag the window to the bottom of the screen. If this doesn't close the window, try to quickly swipe the window towards any side of your screen.