- There are lines on the display, what can I do?
- Android 9.0 Pie
Try the following troubleshooting steps if lines in different colours and shapes appear on the screen of your Xperia device. Verify whether the problem was solved after each method, before trying the next one.
- If there are lines framing areas or objects on the display, make sure that the Developer options feature isn’t enabled. If the lines on the display don’t resemble the ones in the screenshot, try the next method.
- Restart your device.
- Use safe mode to check if any downloaded applications are causing the problem. Downloaded applications can cause your device to behave unexpectedly or affect its performance. In safe mode, your device only starts with software and applications that were already installed when you purchased your device. If the device’s performance improves in safe mode, it’s likely that one or more of your post-purchase downloaded applications are affecting the device negatively.
- You can exit safe mode and restart the device to uninstall the application or applications that you suspect are causing the problem. If the problem is recent and you're not sure which application is causing the problem, you can start by uninstalling the most recently downloaded application.
- Check to see if there is a software update available for your Xperia device using Xperia Companion. When you update your device, you ensure that the device has optimal performance and the latest enhancements. Tap or click here to read more about how to update and find the latest software version.
- Perform a factory data reset. Note! Always back up all personal data before performing a factory data reset. All data in the internal memory is overwritten during a factory data reset. Content on an external SD card is kept.
- If there still are lines on the display, contact us.
To disable Developer options
- Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options.
- Tap the switch beside On to turn the feature off.
To enable Safe mode
- While the device is powered on, press and hold down the power key.
- In the pop-up menu, touch and hold Power off until the Reboot to safe mode message appears.
- Tap OK to restart in Safe mode.
To exit Safe mode
- When in Safe mode, restart the device.
To perform a factory data reset
- Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Erase all data (factory reset) > RESET PHONE.
- If required, draw your screen unlock pattern or enter your screen unlock password or PIN to continue.
- Tap ERASE EVERYTHING.
Note! When you perform a factory data reset, you erase all personal data stored on the internal storage of your Xperia device. Make sure that you always back up data stored on the internal storage that you want to keep before performing a factory data reset. Photos, videos, music and documents stored on the SD card do not get erased during a factory data reset.