How do I transfer data from an iOS device to an Android device? How do I switch from iPhone to Xperia?
Backup and transfer data from iOS to Android with Google Drive
Google Drive is a useful option to store your data online. Similar to an SD card you can store your photos or videos on the cloud (online). Data saved on the cloud can be accessed from your phone, laptop, desktop or tablet. This method of storing your data can be useful when you want to backup your data for transfer.
You can use Google Drive to back up content on your iPhone and iCloud account.
- Photos will back up to Google Photos.
- Contacts will back up to Google Contacts.
- Calendar will back up to Google Calendar.
Step 1: Before you back up
- Your phone must be on a Wi-Fi network to back up photos and videos.
- If you back up multiple times, only new photos will be backed up. It will also overwrite any previous backups for contacts and calendars.
- If you organised photos into albums, those albums will not back up to Google Photos.
- Contacts and calendars, from services like Facebook or Exchange, will not back up.
Step 2: Begin the backup process
Backing up may take several hours depending on how much data you want to transfer. We recommend keeping your device connected to Wi-Fi and power.
- On your iPhone, install and open the Google Drive app.
- In the top left, tap (Menu icon).
- At the top, tap (Settings icon).
- Tap Backup.
- Tap START BACKUP.
To transfer backed up data to your Xperia device
Step 3: Sign in to your Google account (if you are not already signed in)
- From your home screen, find and tap Settings → Accounts → Add account → Google
- Sign in using the same account used for backing up from the iOS device.
- Once signed in, all your backed up data will be available on your Xperia device.
Turn off iMessage
You may need to turn off iMessage if you can't get SMS or text messages sent from an iPhone to your Xperia device.
To turn off iMessage
On your iPhone
- Transfer your SIM card to your iPhone.
- Find and tap Settings → Messages.
- Turn OFF iMessage. Go back to Settings.
- Find and tap FaceTime
- Turn OFF FaceTime.
No longer have your iPhone?
Follow this link and the steps listed in the article to deregister your phone number.
- If the link is no longer active, search for "Deregister and turn off iMessage" in your web browser.
For Xperia 5 II, Xperia 1 II & Xperia 10 II, Xperia Transfer 2 app is recommended to transfer photos, videos, music, or other files from your old device to your new device. Please find more details; How to transfer data or content from my old iPhone by "Xperia Transfer 2"?