This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and improvements from the latest update
For users that have already downloaded firmware v6.5830 (Android 8.0 Oreo):
- Improves the user experience of the channel list presets
- Resolves sound issues - via the ARC port connected to your Sound Bar, A/V Receiver or Home Theater System - when switching on the TV from standby
- Resolves sound issues playing some specific file formats using the internal video player app
- Improved system performance during TV startup sequence
- Restores the Program Guide’s Search by title function
For users upgrading prior to firmware v6.5830, the improvements (mentioned above) have also been added, along with the following:
- The following features/issues will be added, improved or resolved after updating to Android™ 8.0 Oreo™:
- Introduces a new Home screen menu
- Relocated “On Timer” icon (top right-hand side) on the home screen menu
- Introduces Google Tours (tutorial)
- Introduces a redesigned Initial Setup menu
- Introduces a redesigned Content Bar or TV Menu Bar
- Introduces firmware benefits list (preview window)
- Introduces Accessibility Shortcut (On/Off switch):
- Press and hold the MUTING button on the remote control for three seconds to turn ON/OFF accessibility functions such as Screen reader or Text magnification.
- Introduces new keyboard layout, functionality and languages (including Hebrew)
- Improved Google Assistant search function for broadcast content
- Improved country and region settings
- Descriptions have been added to some languages in the Language settings menu
- Improved user experience for the Video, Music and Photo apps
- Improved Set-top box key support (Guide/Title List key)
- Resolves picture noise in Netflix Dolby Vision content (dark solarisation)
- Improves behaviour of externally connected devices when TV is in standby
- The following features will be removed after updating to this software:
- PlayMemories Online
- IPv6 setup (ON/OFF) setting
- Wi-Fi Direct standby mode
- Live Football mode function
- Video (Home network) in the Content Bar
- The 500px application / PMO in DUX
- PlayStation Video app no longer pre-installed
- You can still access the app by downloading it from the Google Play Store
- For more information on the features and improvements, please go to: https://www.sony.net/androidtv-updateTO/
- Android is a trademark of Google LLC; Oreo is a trademark of Mondelez International, Inc. group.
Previous Benefits and Improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
- Improves picture brightness in a specific set of circumstances
- Improved compatibility with the Home Theatre Control app
- Supports UHD HDR for BBC iPlayer Live Streaming*
*This firmware update prepares your TV for BBC UHD HDR Live Streaming capability.
UPDATE: As of October 29, BBC UHD HDR Live Streaming was enabled (provided you installed the latest firmware update on your TV). Please open the BBC iPlayer to view available content. We’d like to thank you for your patience, and hope you will enjoy this feature!
- Updates the YouTube, Gracenote and Web Browser app logos
- Removes the Media share functionality from a smartphone (MTP function)
- Removes the Photo Sharing Plus function
- Removes the marking functionality on programme guide/Content Bar
- Introduces the ability to add new apps to “My Apps” on the Content Bar
- Improves the user experience when registering favourite channels using the Content Bar
- Improves the software update confirmation screen
- Reduces the time it takes for audio output to be heard from the Sound Bar when switching the TV on from standby
- Resolves an issue where the brightness decreases every time HDR content is played
- Resolves an issue where SDR content flashes/flickers while the TV's HDR setting is set to "Auto"
- Resolves an issue where lip sync error occurs when the Sound Bar is connected to the TV via HDMI (only XE94, XE93 and A1 series)
- Dolby Vision content is supported for video streaming apps/services installed on the TV such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. (ZD9, XE94, XE93 and A1 only)*
*Selected Sony TVs (ZD9, XE94, XE93 and A1 Series) support Dolby Vision with the software update which was rolled out in Europe in April, 2018. To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision. For more information, please contact the app/service provider. In addition, after the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of an update to a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.
- Voice search UI has changed
You can search content while viewing the screen. Press the [↑] button on the remote control to show all of the search results. Then scroll through the categories using the directional buttons.
- Resolves an issue where the following message appears: "Samba Services Manager has stopped"
- Resolves an issue where audio on TV speaker echoes when connected to Bluetooth headphones
- Resolves Amazon Prime Video playback issue where the video freezes and lip sync error occurs
- Resolves an issue where home audio amplifier does not switch input automatically to TV input when using "BRAVIA Sync Control" function
- Resolves an issue where the TV input selector does not switch to HDMI connected player automatically when using the "One-Touch Play" feature
- Resolves an issue where videos from NPO’s HbbTV app cannot be played (The Netherlands only)
- Resolves an issue where sound continues to be heard from the Sound Bar after turning off the TV via the remote control
- Introduces How-to videos in the BRAVIA Recommendations shelf
- Introduces compatibility with Amazon Alexa-enabled devices (UK only)
- Improves TV response time when using the remote control
- Improves user experience when setting up Samba TV service
- Resolves YouTube 4K playback issue (2,560 x 1,440 resolution or higher)
- Resolves an issue where the TV turns on by itself from standby mode
- This firmware update introduces Android Nougat to Sony's Android TV and supports:
- Picture-in-Picture mode
- Half-screen settings mode
- Task-switching (quickly access recently used apps)
- Multiple Google accounts
- Google Cast 4K content via built-in Chromecast
- Ability to switch to TV viewing mode from Home menu with PROG +/- or number buttons
- Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) HDR content
- Voice search web browser functionality
- Improved category list design
- Improved Wi-Fi password input screen
- A2DP (Bluetooth headphone) functionality (Applicable for A1, XE94, XE93, XE90, and XE85 Series)
- New sound setting (Dialogue mode) (Applicable for A1, XE94, XE93, XE90, XE85, XE83, and XE80 Series)
NOTE: For more information on the features and improvements, please go to:
- Improved channel sorting
- Only for use with the products sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.
Check the software version
Your software may already be up to date. If you're not sure, it's easy to check which version of software you have - follow these instructions:
- Press the [HELP] button on the remote.
- On the TV screen, the firmware version number should appear.
 Software version
If the version number is "PKG6.6510.xxxx" or higher, you already have the most recent software version and updating is not required.
There are 2 ways to update the firmware on your BRAVIA TV:
- Using the "Automatic software download" function (recommended)
- Using a USB storage device
Using the "Automatic software download" function (recommended):Sony provides software updates in order to enhance functionalities and provide users with the latest TV experience. The easiest way to receive software updates is via an Internet connection of the TV.
NOTE: Make sure that the "Automatic software download" function is enabled. (By default, this setting is enabled.)
- Press the [HELP] button on the remote.
- Select [System software update].
- Select [Automatic software download].
IMPORTANT: The following "System Requirements," "File Info," "Download" and "Install," sections relate to the USB storage device update procedure. You can ignore them if you completed the update using the “Automatic software download” feature.
For other FAQs about Troubleshooting, please see the "Questions and Answers" on the Sony Support Site.
Using a USB storage device:
You can also update the software by using a USB storage device. If an Internet connection is not set up on your TV, or the "Automatic software download" function fails to download, try to download and update using a USB storage device as instructed below.
What You Need
- a computer with access to the Internet
- a USB storage device
- Firmware update to v6.6510 for TV
Zip File Name
- 1 886 804 654 bytes
- Read the instructions carefully or you could end up causing the TV to become unresponsive or require a repair.
- Do not turn the off TV - or disconnect it from the power - while it's updating.
- Do not press any buttons, except the ones mentioned in the instructions.
- Stop any recording before you start with the firmware update. (USB HDD recording models only)
How to download the Updater:
Before you install the update, you'll need to download it from the Internet and save it to a USB storage device.
- Download the update file to your PC.
- Click the [Download] button on the top of this page, then read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Click the [Download] button on the bottom of the page to download the update file on your PC.
- Verify the downloaded file name and size.
- Go to the directory where the file was downloaded.
- Verify that the size of the "sony_dtvota_2016_1606510100_eua_auth.zip" file is "1 886 804 654" bytes.
NOTE: For Windows PC, verify the "Size" instead of "Size on disk" on the Properties screen.
- Extract the downloaded file.
After you extracted the downloaded file, you will find the file "sony_dtv0FA60A0AA0AA_00004100_16065101000250.pkg".
- Insert the USB storage device into your PC.
- Copy or drag and drop the file "sony_dtv0FA60A0AA0AA_00004100_16065101000250.pkg" to the root directory of your USB device.
NOTE: "The root directory" is the first or top-most directory of the device, which contains all the other folders.
- Remove the USB storage device from your computer and continue to the next section.
Step 1: Install the update
Once you've downloaded the update file and prepared your USB device, you can install it on your TV. The process can take up to 15-30 minutes and during the installation your TV will turn off before turning itself back on. Please follow the simple steps below:
- Turn on the TV.
- Make sure that no USB devices are inserted into your TV.
- Insert your USB storage device containing the file "sony_dtv0FA60A0AA0AA_00004100_16065101000250.pkg" into a USB port of the TV set.
NOTE: Any USB slot can be used if the TV has multiple USB ports.
- Once the USB storage device has been detected, a series of different messages will appear on the TV set. Follow the on screen instructions.
NOTE: If the messages do not appear automatically, try turning the TV off and on with the remote control.
- When the file is finished copying from the USB storage device, the update process will begin, the POWER indicator on the TV will begin flashing white, and the update progress screen is displayed on the TV.
- After several minutes, the TV will turn off and then turn back on to complete the update.
WARNING: During the software installation process, please do not:
- Remove the USB device
- Turn off the TV
- Disconnect the TV from the power supply
- When the software update is complete, a message appears on the TV indicating the software update is complete.
- Carefully remove the USB device from the USB slot.
Step 2: Check the update was successfulCheck the current software versionto confirm that the update has successfully been installed.
- If the version number is "PKG6.6510.xxxx" or higher, the software update was successful.
- If the version number isn't "PKG6.6510.xxxx" or higher, download and install the update again.
Questions & Answers
Possible Issue During the Update
Need more information? See our FAQs about updating the software over the Internet:
- Will my personal settings be deleted after the update?
No, all your personal settings will be kept.
- Can I install an older version of the software?
No. To ensure that your TV remains at optimum performance, the installation of an older software version is not possible. The latest software version contains all the benefits and improvements of previous versions.
- Is it normal for the TV to turn off during the update process?
It is normal for the TV to restart during the update process. It will take a longer time for the TV to restart while installing the new software.
What to do if you have problems updating your TV firmware using the Internet.
If either message "An error occurred during the software update" or "Software cannot be updated using this USB device" is displayed on the TV screen, please proceed to the following procedures for a possible solution:
- Make sure your USB storage device is in good working order. If it is, try downloading the update file again.
- Turn off the TV by pressing the [POWER] button on the TV set.
- Press the [POWER] button again, and proceed with the installation process again.
If the message "No newer version of the TV software was found" is displayed on the TV front panel display, your TV already has newest software version installed, so you don't need to update it.
For other FAQs about Troubleshooting, please see the "Questions and Answers" section on the Sony Support Site.