This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and Improvements
- Improves overall TV performance
Previous benefits and Improvements
- Only for use with the products sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries/regions.
Your software may already be up to date. If you're not sure, it's easy to check which software version you have - follow these instructions:
- Turn on your TV and press the HOME button on the remote to display the Home Menu.
- Navigate to Settings, and press Enter.
- Navigate to Customer Support and press Enter.
- The model and software version should be displayed on the top right-hand corner of the screen: v8.609.
- If the version number is lower than v8.233, please install version v8.235 from the Download section on your model page before you install version v8.609.
- If the version number is either v8.233 or v8.235, please update directly to v8.609.
- If the version number is v8.609 or higher, you already have the most recent firmware.
What You Need
- a computer with access to the Internet
- a USB storage device
- Firmware update to v8.609 for TV
Zip File Name
- 289 955 889 bytes
Download & Install
- Read the instructions carefully or you could end up causing the TV to become unresponsive or require a repair.
- Do not turn the TV off - or disconnect it from the power - while it's updating.
- Do not press any buttons, except the ones mentioned in the instructions.
- Stop any recording before you start with the firmware update. (USB HDD recording models only)
How to download the Updater
Before you install the update, you'll need to download it from the Internet and save it to a USB storage device.
- Download the update file to your PC.
- Click the Download button on the top of this page, then read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Click the Download button on the bottom of the page to download the update file on your PC.
- Verify the downloaded file name and size (see the File Info section).
- Extract the downloaded file.
After you extracted the downloaded file, you will find the folder (sony_dtvxxxxxx_xxxxxxx).
- Insert the USB storage device into your PC.
- Copy or drag and drop the folder (sony_dtvxxxxxx_xxxxxxx) to the root directory of your USB device.Note: The root directory is the first or top-most directory of the device, which contains all the other folders.
- Remove the USB storage device from your computer and continue to the next section.
Step 1: Install the update
Once you've downloaded the update file and prepared your USB device, you can install it on your TV. The process can take up to 15-30 minutes and during the installation your TV will turn off before turning itself back on. Please follow the simple steps below:
- Turn on the TV.
- Make sure that no USB devices are inserted into your TV.
- Insert your USB storage device containing the folder (sony_dtvxxxxxx_xxxxxxx) into a USB port of the TV set.Note: Any USB port can be used if the TV has multiple USB ports.
- Press HOME on the remote to open the HOME menu.
- Navigate to the Settings category and press Enter to select it.
- Navigate to and select Customer Support.
- Navigate to and select Software Update, then select USB.
- A series of different messages will appear on the TV screen - follow the on-screen instructions.
- The update will start and an orange Led light will start blinking on the front panel of the TV.
WARNING! During the software installation process, please:
- Do not remove the USB device
- Do not turn off the TV
- Do not disconnect the TV from the power supply
- When the Firmware update complete message is displayed on the TV set, the TV will turn off and then turn back on to complete the update. - Do not remove the USB device or turn off the TV set.
- After the TV turn back on, remove your USB storage device from the USB port.
Step 2: Check the update was successful
Check the current software version to confirm that the update has successfully been installed.
- If the version number is v8.609 or higher, the software update was successful.
- If the version number isn't v8.609 or higher, download and install the update again.
Questions & Answers
Possible Issue During the Update
Need more information? See our FAQs about updating the software over the Internet:
- Will my personal settings be deleted after the update?
No, all your personal settings will be kept.
- Can I install an older version of the software?
No. To ensure that your TV remains at optimum performance, the installation of an older software version is not possible: the latest software version contains all the benefits and improvements of previous versions.
- Is it normal for the TV to turn off during the update process?
It is normal for the TV to restart during the update process. It will take a longer time for the TV to restart while installing the new software.
What to do if you have problems updating your TV firmware using the Internet
If either message An error occurred during the software update or Software cannot be updated using this USB device is displayed on the TV screen, please proceed to the following procedures for a possible solution:
- Make sure your USB storage device is in good working order. If it is, try downloading the update file again.
- Turn off the TV by pressing the POWER button on the TV set.
- Press the POWER button again, and proceed with the installation process again.
If the message No newer version of the TV software was found is displayed on the TV front panel display, your TV already has newest software version installed, so you do not need to update it.
For other FAQs about Troubleshooting, please see the Questions and Answers on the Sony Support Site.